A simple L A S E R approach can make a conversation across the generations richer and more satisfying:
- Look at the person, (notice the colour of their eyes – let them do the talking) and Listen well.
- Ask as few questions as possible. Assume that the person is interesting and has fascinating stories to tell.
- Stay focused and listen actively.
- Empathise and Encourage the person without interrupting until they are ready to move on.
- Respond to them verbally and also non verbally ensuring that your body language is open.
LASER (Look, Ask, Stay, Empathise, Respond)
Read the Blog
TheAgePage reflects the values of REAL Communication and Sarah's ongoing advocacy of older people.